Welcome to the course!
How to use this course
Module 1: Help Students Master Fraction Basics
M1 L1: Introduction to Teaching Fraction Operations
M1 L2: Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers
M1 L3: Using the Ladder Method
M1 L4: Comparing Fractions
M1 L5: Simplifying Fractions: 3 Methods
Module 4: Fraction Multiplication
Module 4 Overview
M4 L1: Fraction Multiplication: What Does it Mean?
M4 L2: Multiplying Whole Numbers and Fractions
M4 L3: Multiplying Fractions by Fractions
M4 L4: Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
M4 L5: Multiplying Mixed Numbers by Mixed Numbers
Module 5: Dividing Fractions & Mixed Numbers
Module 5 Overview
M5 L1: Fraction Division: What Does it Mean?
M5 L2: Dividing Whole Numbers and Fractions
M5 L3: Common Denominators to Reciprocals
M5 L4: Dividing Fractions by Fractions
M5 L5: Dividing Mixed Numbers
Module 6: The Fraction Plan
M6 L1: Summary of Operations
M6 L2: Fractions in Other Contexts
M6 L3: Resources & Fitting Fraction Concepts In
Teaching Fraction Multiplication and Division
Methods and materials to teach for meaning
Learn instructional methods and receive ready-to-go resources to help upper elementary and middle school students understand and retain fraction multiplication and division concepts, while deepening their understanding of basic fraction concepts.
This course is designed to take you step-by-step through teaching fraction multiplication and division both conceptually and procedurally, while incorporating fraction basics.
This program is Modules 1, 4, 5, and 6 of the Fractions: From Foundations to Operations program, for those who want to focus just on multiplication and division.
Teaching fraction operations can be a challenge…especially if you never ‘technically’ learned how to teach them!
Did your teaching degree help you understand fraction operations…..or how to teach them?
In Number Talks, Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages, the authors cite a study by Li and Smith (2007) that stated:
- 93% of prospective middle school teachers could solve 7/9 ÷ 2/3 procedurally
- BUT only 52% could correctly answer ‘How many 1/2 are in 2/3?’
- Teachers’ lack of conceptual understanding affects students’ understanding of what fraction division means
Are you spending too much time looking for new strategies to help your students with fractions?
Look no further.
If you want to help your students…
- Understand what fraction multiplication and division mean
- Successfully complete and explain fraction multiplication and division
- Improve their fraction flexibility
- Retain their understanding of concepts throughout the year
- Develop a deeper understanding of number relationships
- Feel more confident and less stressed when they encounter fractions in other contexts...
…you’re in the right place.
Who is this program for?
This program is for you if you're an upper elementary or middle school math teacher and...
- you find yourself looking for fraction tips every year, OR
- you're looking for new ways to teach fraction multiplication or division, OR
- your students have fraction gaps you're not sure how to address, OR
- you want your students to develop a deeper understanding of what fractions are and what fraction multiplication and division mean, AND
- you're willing to start 'weaving' fractions into math class when you aren't 'teaching fractions'
This program is for you if...
- You're teaching fraction multiplication and/or division for the first time (or 2nd or 3rd!) and are looking for strategies to help your students learn both the meanings and the processes.
- You find yourself feeling frustrated because your students don't seem to understand what fractions even ARE. You want to minimize those understanding gaps while teaching your curriculum.
- Teaching fraction multiplication and division isn't in your curriculum, but you ALWAYS have to review them because of the other contexts that require students to know fraction operations (like solving equations). Maybe you're looking for new ways to approach this.
- You've been teaching fraction multiplication and division 'rules' because that's how you were taught, and you want to learn strategies to teach fraction operations differently.
- You're an instructional coach, looking for new strategies to share with your teachers.
- You want to save the planning time you spend searching here and there for fraction tips and resources that might help your students. You need a program with methods and materials all in one place.
Lessons include teacher guides for each lesson and student versions of lesson activities
"This course is excellent for anyone who teaches middle school math!"
What teachers like you are saying about the entire fractions program:
This course is excellent for anyone who teaches middle school math. Whether a new teacher or seasoned veteran, there are great ideas and excellent goodies to...Read More
This course is excellent for anyone who teaches middle school math. Whether a new teacher or seasoned veteran, there are great ideas and excellent goodies to use in the class.Read Less
For Newbies & Veterans
Whether you are new to teaching fractions, are just looking for a better understanding of fractions and teaching them, or just need a good refresher. This c...Read More
Whether you are new to teaching fractions, are just looking for a better understanding of fractions and teaching them, or just need a good refresher. This course is great from beginning to end.Read Less
This course covered everything from basics to complex. The speed of the course was perfect, especially since you could stop/review as needed. I appreciate th...Read More
This course covered everything from basics to complex. The speed of the course was perfect, especially since you could stop/review as needed. I appreciate the additional resources AND the ability to come back to refresh!Read Less
Excellent, Thorough, and Consistent
This course was methodical in teaching all needed aspects of fraction operations. The methods used were consistent from start to finish and their purposes ...Read More
This course was methodical in teaching all needed aspects of fraction operations. The methods used were consistent from start to finish and their purposes explained. When options existed, multiple options were shown with their pros and cons. I have taught and tutored math for over 20 years and there were some new insights from this training which was exactly what I was hoping for. Most significant of all was the timely feedback I received. I asked a question on the facebook group and within a day, not only was the question answered, but a new video was made to supplement the videos in the lesson. I will definitely be sharing some of these key ideas and using the student resources. They are well-organized and consistent which will help so many of my students, especially those with learning disabilities. I recommend any teacher who covers fractions operations in their curriculum to take this course.Read Less
This training was easy to use, very comprehensive, and was virtually glitch-free! The content knowledge of fractions presented was extremely thorough was wi...Read More
This training was easy to use, very comprehensive, and was virtually glitch-free! The content knowledge of fractions presented was extremely thorough was will be helpful to me as I seek to incorporate more fraction work into my Grade 6 math class. Thank you so much and PLEASE continue to make great content :)Read Less
This course was amazing! I was so happy I took it. It is going to be extremely helpful to use the resources this school year helping the students gain a bett...Read More
This course was amazing! I was so happy I took it. It is going to be extremely helpful to use the resources this school year helping the students gain a better understanding of fractions. Thank you!Read Less
Extra Resources to Use in the Classroom
In addition to the sample problems and activities in each lesson, you'll receive over $60 of additional resources (besides the student problems and explorations from the lessons), including:
- 120 days of Fraction Spiral Review: excellent for adding fraction practice ALL year
- Fraction Math Dates and calendar cards: so you can add fraction operations EVERY day
- Problem solving
- Doodle notes
- Math wheels for taking notes, plus practice
- Fraction cards
- Fraction strips
- Number lines and more!
Do You Need the Entire Fractions Program?
If you want ALL the fraction operations (plus bonuses), check out the entire program, Fractions: From Foundations to Operations.
OR check out the Fraction Addition and Subtraction program.
How is this course presented?
Each lesson includes a prerecorded video, with teaching strategies and examples. Note-taking guides are provided for each lesson, along with student versions of the examples used in lessons.
Do you accept purchase orders?
Yes. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I don't teach all the fraction operations? Is this still for me?
Yes! You may only be required to teach fraction division (as I did in 6th grade), but you may end up reteaching addition, subtraction or multiplication when students encounter fractions in other contexts (like solving equations). You may have NO fraction operation instruction in your curriculum, but still find that you need to teach them in 'non-fraction' contexts.
Will I receive a certificate of completion?
Yes! When you finish the course, you'll receive a certificate showing you completed 12 hours of online learning.
Will I be able to access the course materials right away?
Yes! All modules will be available as soon as you enroll and you can access any lessons and resources immediately.
What if I have questions during the course?
I am always available, via email or in the course discussion area on Thinkific.
I'd like to help my child with fractions and fraction operations. Would this course be helpful?
Definitely! If you're a parent supporting a child who would benefit from supplemental work with fraction concepts (or you're a homeschooling parent), this course will be helpful.